In 2004, the Parish purchased a parcel of wooded land on Cross erect a modern church building in the Byzantine style and an attached community center.
On November 11, 2007 grounding breaking ceremonies took place on our grounds at 186 Cross Road in North Dartmouth, which were presided and conducted by His Eminence Metropolitan Methodios of Boston and the Very Rev. Archimandrite Constantine S. Bebis, pastor of our church. Building Committee Chairman George C. Bebis, Co-Chairman Tony Martin, Parish Council President Dennis Maniatis and members of the Parish Council and Building Committee led our congregation in breaking ground for our new Church.
Representatives of out Ladies Philoptochos Society, G.O.Y.A., our youth organization, our Greek School and Sunday School teachers and children, our choir members and our Altar boys and hundreds of our parishioners participated in the moving ceremonies of the unforgettable day. The owners of the Buff Tree Construction Company were also present at the ground breaking ceremonies. Buff Tree started its work on our new buildings in the Fall of 2008. The last Divine Liturgy at the old church building in New Bedford was conducted on Sunday, May 31, 2009, it was a very moving experience for our entire congregation present on the day.
The following week His Eminence Metropolitan Methodias of Boston arrived in our old church, and assisted by Father Ted Barbas, the Chancellor of our Metropolis, Fr. Bebis and members of our Building Committee, led a ceremonial removal of the sacred relics of the St. George, which had been placed on the day of the Consecration of the old church in 1937 by the then Archbishop of America Athenagoras. Metropolitan Methodias then carried the holy relics in the newly constructed Altar in our new church building.
The construction of the new church, in the basilica style, Cultural Center, church office, pastor's office and parking area were completed by the end of May 2009.
THE THYRANOIXIA CEREMONY (THE OPENING OF THE NEW CHURCH) was conducted on a beautiful, sunny Sunday, June 7, 2009. The ceremony was presided by His Eminence Metropolitan Methodias of Boston, assisted by Fr. Bebis and Fr. Barbas. The Building Committee and the Parish Council selected our Fr. Constantine Bebis to open the Church, which he did as he was given the key for the opening ceremony. The clergy and the congregation entered the new church chanting the hymn of St. George.
Upon entering, the Divine Liturgy was conducted by our Metropolitan, assisted by the present clergy. Representatives of Catholic, Protestant and Jewish clergy were present.
Hundreds of parishioners and guests enjoyed the magnificent reception that followed the Divine Liturgy. Pamela Maniatis, reception chairwoman, led the planning of this event, which was held in a beautifully decorated tent. The Ecumenical Choir of Greater New Bedford sang wonderful hymns praising God for this momentous event in the history of our parish and community.
In October 2011, The Very Reverend Archimandrite Constantine S. Bebis retired as the full-time priest at St. George, a position he had held since 1953. The community has publicly and privately expressed their appreciation for Father Bebis's service. But words can't describe the importance and impact of his 58 years of spiritual guidance and leadership.
Our parish celebrated its CENTENNIAL Anniversary in 2010.
Changed address? Use our new Change of Address form located in the 'Contact Us' section to let us know...
The Philoptochos Luncheon is still on for Saturday January 6!