The earliest Greek immigrants arrived in the New Bedford area during the first decade of the twentieth century, erected a wooden church in the Oxford section of Fairhaven and established the Greek Orthodox Community under the name of St. George in 1911.
Many of the Greeks settled in the area of Coggeshall Street and Ashley Boulevard (Bowditch). As their community grew in number and prospered, the Greeks purchased a property consisting of two houses at the corner of Coggeshall Street and Ashley Boulevard in 1917 and converted one of the houses in to a church. This church served communicants from all of Southeastern Massachusetts.
In 1935, the church was demolished and a new church was erected on the same property and remains in service to the Greek community today.